Pre-war Polish service passport
Issued in 1936 for official consular service in Nazi Germany.
Issued in Warsaw to a consulate official on December 21st, 1936 at the foreign ministry in the capital of Poland. The passport was issued to Alfred Matuszewski – who was stationed at the Polish consulate at Schneidemuhl (Polish named Piła) close to the German-Polish border. Before 1945 the town was in German territory. The passport was issued by Stanislaw Eska, then acting head of the consular department, who had a rich diplomatic and official history in the foreign ministry, for example, consulate head administrator in Minsk from 1925-1926.
Alfred Matuszewski stayed at the address of Zeughausstrasse 6 during his posting, the location of a Jewish resident at the time, merchant Max Schachiana (his were abouts during the war uncertain). His passport was extended 2 times, at the end of 1937 and the beginning of 1939. Three trips back and forth to Poland, returning back home days before the outbreak of World War Two: August 25, 1939.
The passport was printed in 1934, the last version of Service Passports that the Second Republic issued and used up to 1939; here are details of the imprint at the back of the page:
Drukarnia Panstwowa Nr 69534. 28. III.34. 10 000
Enjoy the images.
Thank you for reading “Our Passports”.