Imperial Highway Authority (IHA)
Imperial Ethiopian Government papers.
The IHA was established in 1951 (under proclamation No. 115/1951) and its aim was to improve and further strengthen the transport infrastructure of the country. This was done with the aid of the World Bank funds and with technical assistance supplied by the United Sates Bureau of Public Roads (the Ethiopian Highway Project was singed at Addis Ababa on February 27th & May 2nd of 1951 by the US chargé d’affaires Donald F. Bigelow and the Ethiopian vice Minister of Foreign Affairs Ato Zaudie Gabre Heywott ).
The highway system got its first major boosting in infrastructure during the Italian occupation (1936-1941). The Italian control of the country was enhanced due to its contribution in this field (by the last year of their occupation, there were about 7,000 km of roads in the country).
This article will include 2 samples of identification documents that were issued to an American classified as an equipment specialist.
The first document is an official Imperial Highway Authority Identification Card (number 7) issued on April 28th 1951 to Robert G. Nonnemacker. It is counter signed by the minister of interior & the Imperial Highway Authority of Ethiopia themselves.
The second document is the residence permit that was issued to Robert, same year, 1951.
Thank you for reading “Our Passports”.